Known Amounts of Purposefully Chosen Psilocybin Derivatives
- For the past 50 years, psilocybin (the active compound in “magic mushrooms”) has been viewed as a dangerous drug with no therapeutic value.
- Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical industry has failed to create good drugs for treating mood disorders, such as depression, anxiety, compulsive disorders, and addiction. The leading products have long onset times, severe side-effects, and poor efficacy.
- Failure in the pharmaceutical industry, combined with a lack of research and development in the psilocybin field, has resulted in a longstanding unmet need for products that effectively treat mood disorders without terrible side-effects.
- Recent research indicates that psilocybin is safe and medically useful.
- Pure synthetic psilocybin is available in extremely limited supply, making it extremely expensive for researchers.
- However, the pharmacology of pure synthetic psilocybin is different from mushrooms because mushrooms have a combination of multiple psilocybin derivatives. See Entourage Effect.
- Future psilocybin products will include multiple known ingredients in known amounts.
- The next generation of psilocybin products will optimize the “entourage effect” attained by using multiple active components, while also ensuring that those components are formulated in consistent and reliable amounts.